Monday, October 20, 2014

Customer Interviews: Commuter Peter Krasnoff

Peter Krasnoff is a long time Rohloff user who has SPEEDHUBs installed on two of his bikes. Peter was notoriously tough on bike frames and drivetrains, and he had broken two frames in the past due to shifting problems. We installed his first SPEEDHUB on a Cannondale Bad Boy, and he was impressed with its low maintenance design and ability to withstand his four day a week year round commute in hilly San Rafael, CA. After a year and a half of trouble-free commuting performance with the Rohloff drivetrain, he decided to get a new mountain bike built around a Rohloff hub, Gates belt drive system, and a Spot Rocker frame.  Around the same time, he put a deposit in with famed local builder Steve Potts for his version of the ultimate commuter frame to replace his Bad Boy. When the frame was finished the following year, we moved the Rohloff wheel over to the new frame and built the bike up with a variety of titanium parts for a super commuter that he rides nearly every day.

Learn more about Peter, his unique, handcrafted Potts, and why the SPEEDHUB works for his riding style below.

Watch renowned framebuilder Steve Potts explain the frame be made for Peter Krasnoff:




What type of bikes are you using your Rohloff hubs on and why did you choose them?
I have a custom Steve Potts commuter and a Spot mountain bike. I use my Potts four days a week and the Spot a few times a month.

For the Potts commuter, I’ve had it 16 months, and I ride it four days a week, seven miles a day over a hill in San Rafael. In that time, I’ve changed the oil once and hosed it down twice. That’s the extent of the maintenance.

On the other hand, the Spot is a training bike more than anything else. I use it when I do my general fitness rides on my own, just getting out on the trails. It's also zero maintenance.



What type of riding do you do mostly?
It's mostly riding the Steve Potts four days a week with a few trail rides every now and then on the Spot.

How do you plan to use the Potts in the future? Do you have any major rides or trips planned?
I’m going to keep riding this bike, but my son will get it when I’m done with it or get a new one. I expect it will still be a great bike even 30 years from now.

What attracted you to the Rohloff hub for the type of riding you do?
I had broken two frames over the course of four years due to derailleur problems, so I was definitely looking for an alternative. On one bike, I took a big chunk of aluminum out of the frame when the chain jumped off. On the other, the derailleur got sucked into the spokes on the rear wheel and I crashed and broke the frame.

Not only did I have problems with chain suck or shifting problems, but dirty chains just don’t work that well. I ride in the rain all the time. I wanted something that wouldn’t break or get dirty on my normal commute.


What is your favorite feature of the Rohloff hub?
Just not having to worry about having a failed shift. You don’t have to worry about if you dropped chain or messed up your derailleur. It just shifts perfect every time.

People always want to know about the weight difference, and I tell them you don't notice it. On a commuter it’s a no brainer, because you're already carrying a lot of weight. And it’s really only a minimal difference even on mountain bikes.

- Peter Krasnoff

A big thank you to Peter for talking with us about your Rohloff-equipped Steve Potts and Spot bikes, and keep enjoying your rides!

We'd love to hear stories and see pictures of your Rohloff and Schlumpf equipped bikes in action! Send them to adventures@cyclemonkey.com

No comments:

Post a Comment